Probable reasons for the slow computer performance that include, but is not limited to
- Disk errors – It helps to clean up the disk to free up memory space.
- Heavy antivirus software can slow down the speed of your computer. It helps to replace your heavy antivirus software with light weight software.
- If you are using two antivirus software on your computer that can slow down the performance as well.
- There are many instances where you will land up installing software, programs, or applications that you really did not need. Might be that you got tricked to install it by clicking on a pop up, but did not find a way to uninstall it.
- Some web browsers might not be compatible with your operating system and it can likely slow down the computer performance.
- Multitasking as well slows up the performance of your computer.
- If you are using your computer for tasks that require high memory space (video editing, graphics and other tasks) that can as well slow down your computer’s speed and you might want to upgrade your RAM; however, upgrading your RAM is not the right solution for all slow down issues. It takes technical analysis to determine what actually slows down the performance of the computer. In some cases upgrading your hard drive helps as well.
- The age of the computer has nothing to do with the speed. However, you need to note that you are using more number of applications and programs than what you used to be about 10 years ago. Therefore, the slow down can be related in the most part due to increase in the number of applications.
- Updating the different software, as and when new updates become available, also tends to occupy more space as the numbers of updates on your different software accumulates with time.
- Re-installing your operating system, every time your computer slows down is not a good way to go, because you are likely to lose all essential plug ins and tweaks you have made. However, your computer will surely work faster than before because you have undone those space demanding programs.
If you have a fully loaded computer or if you are regularly loading your computer realizing that one day it is going to be overloaded, better back up your files. It helps to have a back up of your files regardless of whether your computer is working slow or fast to avoid loss of data. Though data recovery services can help, it is better to have a back up.
Some very advanced programs will never work well on an old computer. You might want to consider going for a new computer, and you can repurpose your old computer for simpler programs. However, a good technician will be able to bring back the performance speed of your computer to normal by doing the appropriate diagnosis and fixes. Though the technician might not be able to make your computer work for all programs, they will be able to tell you about the true capacity of your computer and about the performance limitation of your computer with select programs that can lead to a slow computer.
The best thing you can do to help prevent slowing of your computer is to avail regular online maintenance service on your computer.